You know that feeling, you’ve been back living under your parent’s roof for longer than you all would like to admit and you parents are starting to give you the oh so subtle nudge towards the door. If you’re having difficulty picking up on their signals I have kindly listed below the signs that your parent s think you should fly the coop:
- Your Mum asks you repeatedly when you will be moving in with your BF/GF
- Your Dad persistently complains about how your red hair dye (insert other rage inducing messes caused by you here if this is not applicable) staining the tiles in the bathroom. You say you won’t stop dyeing your hair…there’s a significant pause while he waits for you to catch the drift…
- Your Dad starts referring to your beau’s place as your home e.g. “You can take that with you when you go home”…time to go then..
- Your dog is getting cranky living with two other blind dogs; you comment that she would prefer to be an only dog, your parents cannot agree more. Pause. Silence. Penny drops.
- They tell you repeatedly how they can’t get over just how quiet the house is when you’re not in it. And how they are really enjoying the peace and quiet.
- The dog starts trying to tell you something Lassie style: “What’s that girl? What are you trying to tell me? Go…Home?” Oh.
- Your Mum has forgotten about your dietary requirements since you last ate with them. She poisons you. Hint. Hint.
- A whispered conversation between your parents ceases when you enter the room. You have caught snippets of a “swatches” and “paint charts” debate. They already decorated every other room of the house. Just yours then.
- Leaflets suggesting you engage the services of “first class” local removal services keep mysteriously appearing under your bedroom door.
- Your stuff starts migrating out of your bedroom. Into boxes. Into the hallway. Down the stairs. Out the front door. MOVING DAY.
And if you are more of a visual learner I have included below a video of a current advert that illustrates many of the above points nicely.